The Dayboro Scout Group den has an interesting history originating in 1957 at a completely different location.
The building was originally located at Bald Hills, Brisbane and was built in 1957 and extended in 1964.
In early 1986, a group of dedicated parents met to canvass the idea of reforming the Dayboro Scout Group to support the boys of the growing community. So with Burn Bell as Group Leader, the group was reformed with 16 Cubs supported by Ray Cupka, Mike Gleadhill and Kay Pope. A few months later, Brian Reiske signed up as the Scout Leader along with 7 scouts.
From 1986 to 1986, the fortunes in the group waxed and waned; leaders came and went; girls joined the boys in all sections of the movement. In 1992, the Joey Section was started with Jenny Johnson and Ian and Sue Flinders(now both actively involved with the Dayboro Lions). In 1993, the Venturers Section was started under the leadership of Bev Seymour.
Over the years, a loyal group of parents supported by the local community and service groups worked hard to provide the group with camping gear, a trailer, canoes and other associated equipment required to provide the group members with an interesting and adventurous life in the scouting movement.
During this time, the Dayboro Scout Group still did not have a permanent home. In 1991, the group was informed that the Bald Hills Scout Group Den was available for removal. After extensive negotiations between the War Memorial Trust, Dayboro Show Society and Pine Rivers Shire Council, the current plot of land became available on a long term lease.
On the 1st February 1994, the former Bald Hills Scout Den building was transported to it current location. From February 1994 until April 1996, the building was refurbished and the ground floor added. The building was formally opened ion the 27th April 1996 by Her Excellency Mrs Leneen Forde, A.C Governor of Queensland. A copy of the Opening Cermony Program is available below.
Thankfully a number of photos were taken of the Den building arriving in Dayboro